Traffic Litigation FAQsIt is only a traffic ticket, why not just pay the fine?

The answer depends on many factors. Drivers under the age of 21 may face a different set of rules, as they do in Illinois, where two convictions in a two-year period cause a suspension. Commercial drivers may be endangering their livelihood by pleading guilty: speeding tickets of 15 above the limit are considered SERIOUS and count toward disqualification of a person’s commercial Driver's License (CDL). Others may face an increase in insurance premiums. 

What is court supervision in Illinois?

Court supervision is a sentence imposed by the court. For traffic cases it usually just means that you pay a higher fine. The result is that no conviction is entered against your record

What if I have a CDL?

If you have a Commercial Driver's License, then you probably will not be well served to accept court supervision.

How many times can I receive court supervision?

The statute provides that a person 21 or older may receive supervision twice in one year and that drivers under 21 may only receive supervision one time. Some Illinois counties do not allow more than one court supervision per year, no matter the age.

Will I be required to attend Traffic Safety School?
Some courts require traffic safety school attendance as part of court supervision. It is usually required for drivers under the age of 21; however some counties do not enforce the rule. 

Do Missouri courts give supervision?

Usually no. Most Missouri courts will agree to amend tickets to avoid a conviction, but many counties will not. 

How many convictions will cause a suspension?

Convictions for certain more serious offenses, such as driving while suspended, will cause a suspension. Most simple traffic violations, however, would require either two convictions if the driver is under the age of 21 or three convictions if 21 or older. 

How long are suspensions for too many tickets?

The answer depends on the seriousness of the offenses. A suspension for speeding 95 miles per hour (mph) in a 65 mph zone will result in a much longer suspension than for two convictions for speeding 73 mph in a 65 mph zone. 

How can I fix my poor driving record?

You may be eligible to have a conviction removed from your record. Doing so may even remove a resulting suspension. Doing so could mean a reduction in your insurance payments. 


Phone Consultation is Free

Traffic litigation FAQs